Vocal : Dr R N Srilatha
Violin : Mathur Srinidhi
Mrudangam : C Cheluvaraju
Ganjira : ASN Swamy
01. sarasUDA ( varNam) – sAvEri – Kothavasal Venkatarama Iyer
02. mahAganapatim bhajEham – amritavAhini – Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar ( O,S )
03. mIna lOchanA brOva – dhanyAsi – Shyama Shasthri ( N,S )
neraval & swara @’ambA- gAna vinOdini nI samAnamu jAgAna gAnanamma’
04. manasA shrI rAmuni – mAraranjani – Thyagaraja ( A,S )
05. parama puruSa jagadIshvara – vasanta – Swathi Thirunal
06. mAmava mInAkSi rAjamAtangi – varALi – Dikshitar ( A,N,S )
neraval & Swara @ ‘ shyAmE shankari digvijaya pratApini’
07. RTP – sAvEri – chaturashra jhumpa x 2 kaLai +1/2 eduppu
pallavi line ‘navanIta chOra shrIkrSNa mAm pAhi’
rAgamAlika swaras in sudhasAvEri , karNAtaka sudha sAvEri ??
08. pUrvajanmadinda nA mAdita – madhuvanti- Purandara Dasa
09. sAramaina mAtalenda (jAvaLi) – behAg- Swathi Thirunal
10. thillAna ( tAm tAm tAm udani tOm tananam) – khamAs – PAtnam Subramanya Iyer
11. mangaLam – saurAStram / madhyamAvati – Thyagaraja
Music from the Rudrapatnam lineage is always very pleasing,more over I wanted listen to her live concert for a while after hearing a few radio concerts. Fearing the friday evening traffic, I left office early only to reach the venue well in advance to be the first person in the audience, which gradually build up as the concert progressed. As expected very soothing music, few rare pieces and some impressive display of her caliber.
Amritavahini kriti of JCW was the first surprise for me, hearing for the first time in a concert. Few rounds of impressive swaras followed. Shyama Shasthri’s dhanyasi kriti was ok, but she did a commendable job with the neraval. Largely hovering around gAna vinOdini -ambA, with a few stretch of the complete line, was very good and fairly well treated. Good round of kalpana swaras too. First alapana of the day was for mAraranjani. I was fairly convinced it to be sarasAngi and Patnam kriti was lingering in mind, but it was one mELa lower at mAraranjani. Srinidhi’s alapana was beautiful. The kriti and the swaras were very well rendered. A short vasanta kriti of Swathi Thirunal came in as a filler.
Varali alapana was just ok, good but not anything to rave about. IT was done in detail by both the artists. Mamava meenakshi was a good choice and it picked up from here very well. Neraval for the short line was impeccable, and so was the two speed swara prasthana continued.
Saveri was back as the main as is the old practice. Very good alapana in two phases. Tanam was even better, both Srilatha and Srinidhi playing some exquisite phrases, very moving. Nothing great about the tala or the pallavi line, except that she had a rather funny but very cute way of pronouncing krSNA. Well executed trikalam before the swaras. Ragamalika swaras were sung in only two which I guess were sudhasaveri and karnataka shudhasaveri.
Newly coveted ‘gAna kala bhUSaNa’ Cheluvaraju was in his usual self. He and ASN Swamy played a good tani avartanam. Post felicitation were reduced to a devarnama, a jAvali and a thillana before mangalam. Devarnama in madhuvanti(?), was very good.
Very good concert. Mararanjani made my day.