Vocal : Sri K J Yesudas
Violin : Sri Mahadeva Sarma
Mrudangam : Thiruvarur Bhaktavalsalam
Ghatam : Thripunithura Radhakrishnan
This is the inaugural concert of the 38 day long Ramanavami Concert season at the Fort School Ground. They possibly could not have requested anyone else to do the honours, as he definitely is a crowd puller. The concert, as usual , was full of commentary , advise, and teaching by Yesudas. As always, the initial part was for the carnatic kritis and the later part for the crowd request.
Surprisingly, this concert was full of not known Kannada kritis of Purandaradasa. I’m hearing many of them for the first time. Thiruvarur Bhaktavalsalam was giving superb support to the main singer ably followed by Sri Radhakrishnan. Mahadevasarma was good whenever he was replying for the neraval or the swaras. Tani avartanam was a short, but superb affair, though it came at a rather un-expected time.
Interestingly, there was neraval for only one kriti, towards the beginning of the concert. If someone asks me as to what was the main kriti of the day, I will have no answer.
Here is the song list:
01 valachi vAchi – navarAgamAlika varNam – Patnam Subramanya Iyer
02 vAtapi gaNapathim – Hamsadhwani – Muthuswami Dikshitar (A, N, S)
neravan & Swara @ ‘praNava swarUpa vakra tuNDam’
03 guruvina gulama – hamsAnandi – Purandara Dasa
04 enta vEduko – saraswathimanOhari – Thyagaraja
05 Enanitu mechisuvEnO – dharmavti – Purandara Dasa (A, S )
06. bAlakanakamaya – aTaNa – Thyagaraja
07. ennALu Urake – Subhapantuvarali – Thyagaraja (A, S)
08. srIrAmam ravikula – narayaNagauLa – Muthuswami Dikshitar
09. karava mugidanu mukhya – kAnaDa – Purandara Dasa (O)
10. Enu varava bEdali nAnu ( a song in Kannada language)
11. atiSaya rAgam – Ragamalika – Tamil Movie Song ?
12. kriShNA nee BEgane – yamunAkalyANi – Vyasaraya (O)
13. kotta bhagyavE sAku srIkriShNa daya bEku – shaNmukhapriya – Purandara Dasa
14. rAjIva nEtrAya rAghavAya namO – srI? – Annamacharya
15. enthE kannanitra karuppu niram – Malayalam song
16. harivarAsanam – madhyamAvathi
17. jagadOdhAraNa – kApi – Purandara Dasa
18. Thillana –
19. mangaLam – saurAshtram