Vocal : Bangalore Sisters ( Harini & Sharada)
Violin : Nalina Mohan
Mrudangam : B R Srinivas
Ghatam : Srishylan
Thematic Concert on Mysore/Karnataka Composers
01. shLOkam ( Om nama: praNavArthAya)
mAtE malayadhwaja ( daru varNam) – khamAs – Adi-Muthaiah Bhagavathar
02 shrI mahAgaNapatim bhajEham – aThANa – Adi-Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar ( A,S )
03. gangAdhara tripurahara – pUrvikalyANi – Roopakam – Mysore Sadashiva Rao ( A,N,S )
neraval & swara @ ‘ahi bhUSaNa amaravana aja sannuta badarIvana’
04. ikO namma swAmi – maNirang – mishra chAp – Purandara Dasa ( O )
05. sadA sAranga nayanE – ranjani – Adi – Yoga Narasimham ( A )
06. mari mari vacunA – kAmbOji – Adi x 2 – Mysore Vasudevachar ( A,N,S,T )
neraval & swara @ ‘rAmuni mahima nEn Emani pogaDudu’
07. karEdarE barabAradE guruvE – janasammOdini? – Adi – Kamalesha Vittala
08. bArO namma managE – vasanta – Purandara Dasa
09. thillAna ( nAdru dru dhIm takaNu dhIm ) – chandrakauns ? – Anoor Ananthakrishna Sharma
10. mangaLam – saurAStram/ madhyamAvati – Thyagaraja
Another one of a meticulously planned concert in the ‘Karnataka Vaibhava’ series at Nadasurabhi. What is heartening to see is the freshness in the selection of compositions, instead of singing the ‘safe’ kritis.
To me the high point of the concert was the pUrvikalyani kriti. Sadhashiva Rao’s master piece was sung wonderfully. The neraval was classy, the kalpana swaras that followed were superbly done. Kamboji main, for the second day in succession, this time with a different take. Mari mari vacuna is not heard these days, apart from Malladi Bros. There was again detailed neraval and swaras here.
Yoga Narasimham’s ranjani composition and the thillana of mrudangam maestro Anoor Ananthakrishna Sharma were new to me. What was again impressive to listen and watch was the way B R Srinivas accompanied the main artists. He, I thought, had a wonderful performance. Nalina Mohan was in her usual self, however her return alapana’s were shortish for most of the ragas.
This is a great initiative from Nadasurabhi and I observed they bring new artists each year , presenting newer compositions as a result.