Vocal : S Sowmya
Violin : R K Sriramkumar
Mrudangam : J Vaidyanathan
Ganjira : anirudh Athreya
Song list :
01. chalamEla ( varNam) – nAtakurinji – Rangaswamy Pillai ( S )
02. bAlakrishNan pAdamalar – dhanyAsi – Papanasam Sivan ( S )
03. Ela nI dayarADu – aThANa – Thyagaraja ( A,N,S )
neraval & swara @ ‘ rArA dEvAdidEvA , rArA mahAnubhAva ‘
04. bhOgindra shAyinam – kuntaLavarALi – Swathi thirunal
05. O jagadambA -Anandabhairavi – Shyama Shasthri ( A,S )
06. brOva bhAramA – bahudhAri – Thyagaraja ( S )
07. hannu bandidE – hindOLam – Purandara Dasa
08. RTP – harikAmbOji – khaNDa tripuTa x 2 kaLai , started at 1.5 ( 3rd beat) after samam
pallavi line ‘ srIkrishNam bhaja tE sadA, unnata padavi vrjarE manasA ‘
rAgamAlika swaras in ‘rEvati, ?, surutti
09. srI mAdhava vAsudEva – behAg – Papanasam Sivan
10. bhajarE yadunAtham – pIlu – Sadashiva Brahmendra
11. thillAna ( tAm tAm udanitOm tananam) – khamAs – Patnam Subramanya Iyer
12. mangaLam – saurAshtram – Thyagaraja
Another top quality concert at the series at Unnati. S Sowmya and the team presented a very well coordinated concert yesterday. A cleverly selected kritis on the occasion of Gokulashtami and a rather surprising pallavi are some of the highlights of the evening. All the participants played very well and I am particularly impressed with young Anirudh Athreya on the Ganjira. She sang kalpana swaras for almost all the kritis until the main, each of them delivered with class.
Started 10 mins late on a Sunday evening, she started off with the natakurinji varnam adding a few rounds of swaras. I’m listening to Balakrishnan pAdamalar after a long time, and she sang the swaras pretty well. Athana was the first alapana and she started off with a bang ( many appreciative tch tch around) and progressed nicely. RKSK did one better in his turn taking off from where she left. An interesting neraval ar rA rA devadideva , was fabulous. Another elaborate Anandabhairavi alapana came soon after a filler. It was ok, not something that would blew me away. O jagadamba was good, and so was the ultra slow kalpana swaras that followed. Probably to shift the tempo she quickly sang an super fast bahudhari and an even faster fireworks of swaras. It was very impressive, nonetheless. Another slow devarnama followed soon after.
Harikamboji alapana was grand. I am never good at identifying with this, but after a few internal negotiations, I settled at the right place. Expecting a ‘dinaMaNi vamsha’, I was a bit surprised when she started her tAnam. There hadn’t been many instances of a pallavi in harikAmbOji, an MDR and one from Chittoor Subramanya Pillai are two that I’ve heard of. Tanam was good. Pallavi was cleverly coined, adding the ‘organiser’ mudra incorporated. Brilliant trikalam for an intrinsic ‘eduppu’ was executed to perfection by all. There was no elaborated ragamalika swaras. She did a sweeping one stretch swaras in the final round briefly shifting from revati to surutti ( one more in the middle) and handed over the reign to the percussion. J Vaidyanathan and Anirudh Athreya was top class in accompanying. The duo played out a decent tani with no noisy riots.
Post main had a couple of short songs and a khamas thillana. Nothing to talk home about. A very enjoyable concert and a bonus surprise of the harikamboji pallavi.