Vocal : Sanjay Subrahmanyan
Violin : Avaneeswaram Vinu
Mrudangam : Neyveli Venkatesh
01. varNam ( chelimi kOri) – gauLa – Veena Kuppaiyer ?
02. sadAchalESwaram bhAvayE – bhUpALam – Dikshitar ( S )
03. ninnu sEvinchina – Yadukula kAmbOji – Subbaraya Sasthri ( A )
04. kA vA vA – varALi – Papanasam Sivan
05. Inta sowkhya mAninE – kApi – Thyagaraja ( A,S,T )
06. chummA chummA varugumA sukham – aThANa – Ghanam Krishnaiyer
07. nirupamAna sAmini nA – behAg – Ramanathapuram Srinivasa Iyengar
08. vandaruLvAy sundarI maNi – behAg – Pattabhiramayya
09. SLOkam ( shrtvAL guNAl ) – rAgamAlika ( kEdAragauLa , darbAri kAnaDa, hamsAnandi, bhAgEshri )
nanda tanaya gOvindana – bhAgEshri – Purandara Dasa
10. mangaLam – saurAshtram – Thyagaraja
Two hour concert of Sanjay is like a teaser, like limiting a potential seven course meal with an ‘entrée‘. Even for the artist – for someone like Sanjay who always gives a ‘complete’ concert- to truncate it to a two hour affair is no mean task. He seems to have done a decent job with the preparations and presented another good concert, as one expect him to do. Probably a neraval could have made it a more rounded off experience (to me personally).
I haven’t recovered from the Saturday’s concert, and other domestic compulsion almost made me skip this event. I had an early warning, of the capacity of the hall being small, advising me to be early to the place this being Sanjay’s concert. Until 10:30, I wasn’t planning to attend, but the sudden change of decision and rushing the traffic got me delayed and he had finished the varnam by the time I found my place. A slightly strained voice ( probably not keeping 100% well) , greeted me with bhoopalam. Sadachaleswaram continued with some brilliant swara at ‘kamala vijayakara vidhruta kurangam’ adequately supported by Vinu. An elegant yadukulakamboji alapana followed Ninnu Sevinchina. I was hoping for a short neraval, but that wasn’t coming. He concluded the song and moved on to ka va va.
A classy kapi alapana came in, with all its grandeur. Fantastic exposition of the raga, very moving passages, few plain notes singing, few imitation of hindustani style singing and what not. It was a grand affair. Vinu on his return was far more traditional and stuck to the basics. Inta sowkhya was the main to be, as I was hoping for ‘vihara manasa’ ( he sang this at the Kuthiramalika concert in Jan as main , I understand). There was no neraval here as well, but he launched into an elaborate ‘swara prashtnana’ in two speeds. The next ten minutes was again very appealing. Neyveli Venkatesh played a quickfire tani avartanam.
Post main had the typical tail pieces including a back to back behag ( two of them) and a beautiful ragamalika slokam before winding up the concert. Within the given scope of duration and the time ( 11:00 am – 1:00 pm), I think he did a commendable job.